Thursday, September 25, 2014

Lurking in the Shadows

I live alone, but I'm never alone.

It all started that night. The night of his death.

Kevin and I were on our normal route home, walking past the various antique-looking stores on our street. We headed into the bookstore for my normal book fangirl sessions. The store was run by an older man in his 60's. His name was Harold, and he was quite sweet, always giving good recommendations and slipping in a favorite book of his with my purchase for free. Kevin was wandering around looking for anything that didn't reek of dirt and dust. He didn't hate it here, but he'd prefer to be basically anywhere else. But, for my sake, he'd tag along so I could roam through all the dilapidated books, with worn corners, and discolored covers. Books made me so happy, but the older ones, that have some wear and tear, made me the happiest. It was always fun to look through the catalog cards, making up stories for every person listed on it. It was always a fun adventure, in that old little book shop, until HE showed up.

I didn't know this man nor do I know him now. He killed Kevin. Shot him right in the head. And left him there, without a trace of evidence. The night Kevin died, I wasn't with him. Kevin decided to head to the coffee shop as I was very engrossed in my trip in the book store, but taking longer than usual. He was on his way there, or so I presume, then I heard a BANG.

Everyone in the shops on the street ran out, including me. It was then that I saw Kevin's cold body lying in the street. I couldn't handle the emotions that were coming as I ran to his body weeping. Kevin was my best friend and in a flash he was gone. There were no witnesses, except one. The witness said that the man was wearing all black and that his face couldn't be seen.

HE is the reason I am always on the run. With Kevin, as my only family, I am alone now. He is always lurking in my shadows, following me. I don't know why or who or how. But he's always there, watching me from afar. I can never escape his grasp. He is my stalker.


1 comment:

  1. To think you got all this from a Life Alert ad! : ) And what a creepy thought...what makes the crime so alarming is how senseless and unwarranted it seems. And how she doesn't know "why or who or how."

    ReplyDelete